Wednesday, April 15, 2009

New Colgems Upload - The Monkees (Mono)




After having uploaded every non-Monkees Colgems album during the past three or
so years, it is time to look at the major moneymaker of the label, the act that
enabled the label to exist and prosper and try out all the disparate acts that
were on the talent roster: The Monkees.

Yes, the Monkess albums have been released and re-released and re-released again
many times in many different formats, but if you are like me, there is nothing
like hearing the Pre-Fab Four in monophonic sound, just like we probably heard
them for the first time nearly 43 years ago on our home hi-fi sets.

Sure, many of us bought the stereo release way back when, but I will bet that
most of us went with the mono release, especially of this album.

Rhino Records has done a great job in releasing Monkees product over the years,
but many have the opinion that the most recent releases of the first four
Monkees albums left something to be desired in the remastering of the mono and
stereo tracks. The mono tracks, in particular, just don't sound like the mono
tracks we remember. I don't know if they could, anyway, what with the listening
experience shifting from analog LPs to digital CDs, but there was just something
missing in these remastered tracks.

So, I have taken my own Monkees album and digitized it, and now present it to
you in its unbridled, pop-filled glory. It generally sounds great, and you
really haven't heard "Last Train to Clarksville" until you hear it the way it
was put out in 1966.

Otherwise, the first five Monkees albums have been reviewed and dissected
numerous times over the years, as has the entire catalog, so I won't do that
here.

I will say that this is one of the best albums of its genre, and if you haven't
heard it in a while, listen again--I guarantee it will bring back many, many
memories.

You can access this album at http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/albumania/

Next month--I need to know--do you want me to upload More of the Monkees in mono
or The Monkees in its original stereo version that many of us bypassed for the
mono version I just described?

Please let me know.

3 Comments:

Blogger big-one said...

send ur email adress

fullundie

7:34 AM

 
Blogger DonHo57 said...

donho57@gmail.com
Thanks in advance...and I enjoy mono versions over the stereo for the Monkees. That's what I grew up listening to on an old Zenith portable player that was my Mom's.

9:07 AM

 
Blogger Larry said...

I will probably be alternating mono and stereo as long as there are monos, so stay tuned over the next few months--I will put all of them up for a limited time.

1:44 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Blogged.com